Friday, June 02, 2006

Still Drunk on Anaesthesia

Mom's surgery was Tuesday afternoon, and today she is still drunk, on some combination of lingering anaesthesia + current narcotics. Older patients have a harder time recovering from anaesthetic. Mom is saying plenty of cute/funny things. From Bruce:

[Mom asked] about clothes for Baron..after I told her she couldn't leave the hospital, she asked the nurse, "I have vacation time, I can leave and take my grandson shopping tomorrow, can't I?"

Last night, Mom asked for the phone.
Me: Who do you want to call?
Mom: Margaret.
Me: (laughing) Well, you don't need a phone to call her. She is dead.
Mom: (instantly distraught) Wha? You tell me she is dead, and you are laughing?!
Me: Mom, she's been dead for 10 years.
Mom: Well, I never. I don't know what's wrong with me sometimes.
(Note to self: next time, MaMa's on the roof, and we can't get her down.)