Friday, June 02, 2006

Hip Recovery More Complicated Than I Thought

Update Note: My previous understanding of "6 months" was likely incorrect. Mom goes back to the hip surgeon approx. 8 weeks after her surgery. Some movement restrictions may be eliminated at that time.

The recovery from the broken hip will be more complicated than I thought on Tuesday. For six months, Mom must not rotate her left foot inwards, or she runs a real risk of dislodging, or otherwise messing up, her new hip socket. For six months, Mom must not raise her left knee at more than a ninety degree angle - as you might do if you were raising your knee to your chest, or she runs a real risk of damaging her new hip socket. There's something else to be wary of, but I cannot remember it at this time. And I'm neither on anaesthesia, nor narcotics!